Growing Tourism Businesses in Cape York
Australian Small Business Advisory Services Programme – Northern Australia Tourism Initiative
The Northern Australia Tourism Initiative (NATI) is one of several new programmes arising out of the Our North, Our Future: White Paper on Developing Northern Australia.
Cape York Sustainable Futures (CYSF) was successful with its application for the ASBAS NATI programme, which will enable us to deliver low cost small business advisory and information services to tourism small businesses and tourism small business intenders in Cape York and the Torres Shire.
Until 30 June 2019, the CYSF NATI programme will support a range of service delivery mechanisms including:
- one-on-one tailored business advisory services;
- face-to-face meetings;
- virtual/online meetings;
- small group training for up to 20 people at a time; and
- access to, and connection with, mentoring networks.
Cape York businesses should have already received an email notice from CEO, Trish Butler in relation to this program, but if you haven’t heard from us, we would love to hear from you – contact details are below.
The Six Tourism Streams
Within each of the six tourism streams, there are a number of eligible activities which CYSF must provide, as outlined below.
- Funding Avenues and Financial Analysis:
- independent information and guidance on available banking and finance products, how to present finance bids, effective cash flow management processes and financial data interpretation and referrals to accounting advice.
- Building Your Business:
- diagnostic assessment of current business operations, followed by business planning advice that meets identified needs;
- assistance in preparing marketing plans on promotional opportunities and advertising options;
- guidance on entering new markets and the feasibility of new business ideas, including exporting products or services; and
- referrals to other providers that have specific experience in a given industry or business proposition.
- Making the Most of Your Talent and Team:
- guidance on human resource strategies, including recruitment, employment and occupational health and safety (OH&S) requirements;
- advisory service meetings and networking opportunities;
- talent recruitment and retention tools; and
- training programmes to inform tourism small businesses and intenders, about significant new regulations and/or relevant Australian Government business initiatives, which may impact on tourism products and services.
- Management Capabilities:
- assistance with creating, reviewing and implementing business plans, assessing and improving supply-chain management, succession planning, and creating security over leased premises or intellectual property; and
- assistance to access appropriate legal advice, including licensing, retail tenancy, intellectual property and credit management.
- Digital Engagement Implementation:
- advice and assistance on e-commerce take-up;
- advice and assistance with information technology and broadband services issues; and
- advice on adopting technology concepts to assist with marketing, managing and growing ideas.
- Tourism Ready:
- advice on understanding different tourism markets and the potential of these markets to grow tourism businesses;
- advice on developing businesses to target the preferences of tourists, including specific Asian markets;
- advice on marketing products or services to tourists;
- advice on resources available to improve knowledge on tourism markets;
- advice about government assistance available to develop or promote businesses to tourists, including the Tourism 2020 Strategy.
CYSF is particularly pleased to be delivering the NATI programme, as our Tourism businesses and intenders, will be able to access low cost business advisory services and support, that otherwise is out of reach, too costly to be considered, or simply not available.
Please contact Rebecca Burke on 4053 2856 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This project has been supported by the ASBAS Northern Australia Tourism Initiative, an Australian Government initiative.